I know yesterday was the first day of Fall (Happy Fall!) but I have to share one last summer inspired smoothie recipe with you all. You will definitely be able to find these ingredients locally for at least another month. Be sure to give it a try while the oranges are at their most flavorful and can make the whole kitchen smell good when you cut into them (I just love that). When I was young my sister and I would stay with my Grandma several times throughout the summer. My Grandma is a wonderful woman who loves family with all her heart, especially her grandchildren. We were never spoiled by her but she always made us feel special. We would go for walks, go swimming, go to the movies and theater hop. Yes, my Grandma is the woman that showed me how to look up movie times in the paper (I’m showing my age) then line them up so we could see two movies for the price of one. One of the tastiest memories I have of summers with my Grandma is getting to eat Orange Creamsicle 50/50 ice cream bars after playing outside all day. My Grandma always had them in her freezer and we were always allowed to eat one. When the heat was blazin’ this summer I thought I would try to recreate that cold creamy orange treat as a green smoothie. We had some oranges in the kitchen, homemade almond milk in the fridge, plus some greens and I must say it came out really good. I’m sure you’ll like it… I wonder if my Grandma would?
- 2 cups of unsweetened or vanilla almond milk
- 1 peeled orange
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (magic ingredient)
- 1 Tablespoon of chia seeds *optional
- 2 handfuls of greens (I’ve used spinach and swiss chard both taste great)
- 1 handful of ice
- Add all above ingredients in order listed above into high speed blender and blend until liquid! If you don’t have a high speed blender first add all liquid ingredients and greens and blend until liquid. Next add all other goodness and continue to blend (if you slice your banana before freezing it, it will work nicer with a regular blenders).
- Pour into two cups, share and enjoy the last tastes of summer while reminiscing about childhood memories!
Let me know what you think of the smoothie or what food brings back childhood memories for you. I’d love to know!