Even when I was single (and trust me there were a lot of years I was) I still loved Valentines Day. Honestly I love all holidays, pretty much anything to spice up normal life and give a reason to celebrate with loved ones is a good thing in my book! I know so many hate on this holiday for it being just a “Halmark” holiday but to me you can make it about what you want and a day to focus on love is a wonderful thing. So I thought I would share what I made for Tyler this year. Hopefully it will inspire you if you are looking for a last minute eco gift idea.
From our first Valentines together we decided that we would not go crazy during the holiday with bears, balloons ect. because we think most of that is pretty generic and super wasteful. So we give each other small gifts, that are often homemade, to acknowledge the special day and to celebrate our love.
Earth Lovers Cuddle Basket for 2
This is a simple gift you can put together mostly with what you have in your home and by picking up a few other pieces at your local health food store.
What you will need
- Basket (or something to put everything into to give to your Valentine)
- Handmade or recycled paper card
- A throw blanket
- Sustainable Chocolate (Endangered Species makes some of the best flavors I’ve ever had from an organic and fair trade chocolate company plus they use their profits to help save the rain forest…win, win!)
- Organic and/or local wine
- Soy or Beeswax candle(s)
- A movie or book you will both enjoy while cuddling up together. Movies are hard for Tyler and I to agree on so rather than one of us kind of enjoying the film, we will sometimes read to each other. We have been reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for a few years now. Reading a book series to each other is a great way to spend time together. Give it a try it’s very sweet to read to or be read to (I’m all about being read too ;) )
I hope you all have a wonderful Valentines Day focused on giving and receiving love with or without a partner in your life.
In the spirit of the love holiday I created a Bloglovin’ account, if you follow other blogs there be sure to search and find Simply Alyson and share the love.
Peace & Love,