I can hardly believe it’s the end of August already. The summer heat is still going strong here in San Diego and before the transition to Autumn begins I’m making sure to soak up all its goodness. It’s the perfect time of year to spend lots of time outside. For me a big part of living an eco lifestyle is being outside having great experiences in nature and using healthy, non-toxic products along the way. Below is a my list of Summertime essentials not to be missed.
- Read a great fiction book: During the year I read mostly non fiction books, magazines and blogs, I think it’s from years of being a student. During the summer I find that it is great to dive into a good fiction book. I just finished one so if you have any good fiction book recommendations please let me know. I’m not ready to go back to the world of non-fiction just yet!
- Sun hat: One that you love and will wear. I have super sensitive skin and finding a mineral based non-toxic face sunscreen has been a really big challenge so I oped for rocking the big floppy sun hat instead most of the time and love it. If I know my hats not coming off, aka I won’t be jumping into a pool, ocean or lake, I won’t put sunscreen on my face and my face thanks me.
- Mineral sunscreen: This summer I’ve been using this by Kiss My Face (don’t you just love that brand name?) Finding a good mineral sunscreen can be hard because they can leave a white film or be hard to rub in but this one has been great. I haven’t gotten burnt once this summer (knock on wood) thanks to this stuff and it does great if you are planning on being in and out of the water.
- Eco lip balm with SPF: During the summer I put away all other lip balms and only use my ones that have SPF in them; because even if you’re not planning to be at the beach all day you are still going to be outside. The sun is obviously more intense in the summer and the weather is drier so give eos or Kiss My Face a try. I’ve tried a lot and these don’t feel waxy; they smell great and keep your lips looking beautiful.
- Lotion with lavender for sunburns: If you do get sunburned or you have just been in the sun all day and your skin is feeling like it needs some extra love, one of my favorite tricks is to use a very mild shea butter based lotion (this is my favorite lotion I use it everyday) and add 2 or 3 drops of lavender essential oil to the lotion before rubbing into your skin. It feels so calming and soothing.
- Day spent playing in the waves: I realize that those of you who don’t live near the beach this one will be more of a challenge, but go to the beach or body of water with the intention to let loose and play. As adults we don’t do nearly enough of that. So dive into a pool, lake, or the ocean, it doesn’t matter and let go of the “go, go, go” and the “to do” lists and just swim around and have fun!
- At least one camping trip: This has been an absolute must for me for many years now. I’m happy to say we have gone on more than one trip so far and we are headed back out over the Labor day weekend. Summer and camping go hand in hand for me. Load up the car and spend a weekend in the mountains, hiking, hanging out around the fire and grilling up yummy dinners.
- Reusable water bottle: Hydration is key in the summer. With the heat and sweating more we all get more thirsty. You don’t want to be somewhere with no water and end up having to buy water, so get your reusable water bottle out. Keep it on you at all times so you can refill it and reduce your waste.
- Eat lots of organic berries: They are delicious and in season so eat em up! Enough said.
- Lay out on a warm night and look up at the stars: I love to do this. It makes me feel incredibly small and expansive all at the same time. After some time of gazing has passed I find it fun sometimes to take out my phone and play around with the Google Sky Map app to see the names of stars, planets and constellations I’m looking at!
I hope you have been having a wonderful summer. What eco products or experiences are must’s on your summer time list? I’d love to know!